Language Training Referral

PSI refers eligible newcomers and refugees for language assessment to Parkland College. Newcomers who want to get into language programming or employment planning, who need to meet licensing requirements, or who have settlement needs may require language assessment.

A newcomer is eligible for an assessment if he or she:

  • Is at least 18 years of age;
  • Has been in Canada no more than eight years since date of first arrival;
  • If a permanent resident, is not eligible for or cannot access federal language assessment services;
  • If a temporary resident:
    • Has a work permit valid at least two months after the assessment date;
    • Has a student permit valid at least two month after the assessment date;
    • Is the spouse or adult dependant of an individual who qualifies under the above two points, and has a visitor’s permit  valid for at least two months after the assessment date, and
  • Has not received a Canadian Language Benchmark assessment within the last six months and who has not been actively participating in a CLB referenced program such as LINC or Stage 1 English during that time; and
  • Is seeking to participate in a provincial or federal English language program, or needs a CLB assessment for employment planning or professional licensing reasons.

Documents to be brought for the assessment

Permanent residents must bring a copy of ONE of the following:

  • Permanent resident card;
  • For those who obtained their permanent residency status prior to June 28, 2002, a copy of their Record of Landing (IMM 1000);
  • For those who obtained their permanent status on or after June 28, 2002, a copy of their Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM5292 or 5509), if their permanent resident card is not available.

If you are a temporary resident, bring a copy of ONE of the following:

  • Work permit;
  • Study permit;
  • Visitor record;
  • Immigrant visa.

If you are a recent Canadian citizen, bring your citizenship card or certificate.

Please visit our Newcomer Welcome Center at 222 Smith St. E, Yorkton or call (306) 783-2777.

Partners in Settlement and Integration
Assisting newcomers and
employers prosper in
East Central Saskatchewan

Our offices, and the Newcomer Welcome Centre, are located at:

222 Smith Street East
Yorkton SK Canada
S3N 3S6

Office hours: Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Telephone 1.306.783.2777
Fax 1.306.782.6967
Email Us

View Larger Map